Y is for Yoga
I’m not a yoga expert, but I’ll try to explain the differences in some of the most common types:
- Hatha – a generic term for beginner yoga. Breathing, meditation and basic poses.
- Vinyasa – For the slightly more advanced beginner. Flowing, and you’ll repeat sequences a number of times.
- Ashtanga – More advanced again, and structured out of 8 different sequences. Perfect for perfectionists!
- Hot/Bikram – prepare to get hot and sweaty! Flowing movement. Bikram is a type of hot yoga and incorporates 26 different postures.
- Iyengar – very precise although it’s gentle so it’s good for beginners. Expect to use props and it allows for full relaxation as you perform the stretches.